Saturday, September 27, 2014

Fantasia Spider Track Doily Take 2

I spent some time conversing with Teri Dusenbury about several things from copyright to thread types. With her permission, I am posting progress on this doily. One of the things we talked about is thread. She has many years spent tatting, and she has shared her experiences with me. Normally I don't give too much thought to what type of thread I use, since I usually tat tight. I only think of aesthetics. She brought up valid points about durability of the finished piece. With that thought in mind, I've restarted yet again. I do want this piece to last a long time after all, even with wear and tear factored in. The CG image's official name is Fantasia Spider Track Doily.
  I began by going through ALL of my thread stash (which took some time) and settled on DMC size 20. I have two full balls of black and an almost full EZ bobbin of some I dyed years ago. I even found some round beads that complement the Hand Dyed Thread of mine. It seems to have fallen in place on its own.
I liked the idea of a gothic theme, and want to stick with greys and black with a third color for contrast. Usually red would be the color associated with a gothic theme, but I'm more partial to greens and blues. I do have to pick up some more white balls along with dye to make more of the threads needed to complete this project. I'm trying to recall how I dyed the thread but in case I cannot remember, I have enough to make all the butterflies in this color.  I have to say I'm excited!

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Keep on fluttering

 
The frame base is now complete. When I look at it, it reminds me of an unfinished butterfly. Teri has a lot of different butterfly patterns, I wonder if subconsciously she designed this on her computer with that image in mind? I can see how the wings would lay. If this was a smaller resin piece, I would use different colors to make the stain glass effect with the wings. I laid the size 40 section that I finished in the channel where it would lay when done in the size 20. I wanted a size comparison. This is still all just the inner portion of the design. There's still a whole outer chaining row with a few of the butterfly motifs to stabilize and join. Now I have to figure out what colors to continue with from here on. I don't have many options with size 20 since I've pretty much been purchasing only 40 or 80 thread. My solid color options are black, mint green, or variegated pinks or blues. I think I'll turn this larger version towards a gothic them and make the butterflies black. I would have done it all in this grey, unfortunately I have only the half ball of grey left. I'm thinking of adding beads to the larger piece when it's completed. The smaller one can just rely on it's coloring for 'sparkle'.

Getting back into the "Jan patterns", I finished off the row of one of his motifs that I had seen online. The center and first grey chaining are the central motif of a doily on page 72 from Tatting Theory and Patterns book. I just omitted the large flowers and a row of rings and chains. I do like the flow of it so I'm thinking of simply adding more and more rows of the spiral rings.
I have that ball of Apple Pie thread that would be a good finisher for this. Anyone else remember this ball? The one that was so gorgeous, but left a bit of a sour taste when I actually tatted with it. I guess it was just waiting for the right pattern to come along. I had the gold and red in it that I do like. I wanted this to be 'flamed' in appearance. I hope this colorway doesn't let me down in the end. I'm actually going to be working on the first doily from his book. This spiral doily is a step away for a bit pattern that I'll use when I get bored on other projects.

I have some more time off coming up. The timing is perfect since it falls during the week of my birthday. It also lets me recharge my batteries, so to speak, before the craziness of work kicks in to full drive. I know one of my boss's is not happy with it, but the other understands that we are all burning out and if we don't get the opportunity to decompress, they may just lose their strongest people during a peak period.

Sunday, September 14, 2014

A week's break

Tatting with metallic thread can give you such beautiful results. Over at West Pines Creations, she has been doing this a while and her pieces are always stunning. Attempting to make another pair of motifs, I began using one strand of DMC metallic thread. The trick is that you have to keep a bit of slack to your stitches otherwise the rings become too difficult to close. You also have pieces of the metal flake off. Too much slack and the stitches look messy.
Honey and I went to the Gamestop Expo in Anaheim a few days ago. We had a good time. I won some nice prizes and we got to spend the day, just the two of us. I was a nice getaway. I tatted on the way there and a small bit on the way back. Mostly I just zoned out on the drive home.


I started again on Tery's Spider Doily. This time I began with the supporting chains. Now I understand why she calls it a spider doily. The chains when spread out, do look like webs. This sample is being made with size 20 thread. It has given me an idea for some wings. An idea that will go on the back burner for now.  I have too many UFO's again.

One UFO is the making of shuttles again. Not for sale, for my own personal improvement. I tatted Ruth Perry's Celtic rose motif and was testing how thick I would need to make the blade to cover it.
They were made using the exact resin mix, but for whatever reason, the first blade came out more cloudy. I think it's my mold, time to make a new one. I want to have this shuttle finished by Tuesday. It's supposed to be over a hundred degrees this weekend, so I'm going to make the center posts and do a few more test runs. With them curing outside, I don't have to worry about the temperature being too cold for the curing to complete.