Friday, August 27, 2010

Here's the final snapshot of the completed necklace. I wasn't sure which of the two I like better. The damask background one gives it a more elegant vibe to it. While the black background one makes it much easier to make out the necklace. So instead of choosing which one of the two to put up, I give you both.

 

As far as the pendant to go with this, I'm still trying to make up my mind on which path to take. I could 'double up' on the thread to give it the sizing it needs. Then again I could just increase the stitch count to accommodate the larger necklace. The only problem with changing stitch count is that I'm afraid it would change the shape. Okay, I wanted to keep the beading in the original as close as possible to the redone one. Unfortunately, no matter which way I choose to go, it's not possible to make it the same. By doubling up on the thread the spacing will be larger, so of course I have to add supporting beads. Same thing for increasing stitch count. Or I could just add more portions of it, which will distort the original design. *sigh* This one isn't going to be entered under the tatting category. I was told I'm limited to 2 entries per division. Those will be the El Dorado and the Fantasia Fan. This is to be listed under the beading division of needlearts. So it would be better to add more bling beads to it to make it kind of stand out among the other beading. I hoping to get a ribbon, even if it's 3rd place white.

These are the bits of the doily I have finished thus far. One of the 'strips' on the side are made with portions of the cut thread my son gifted me with. The top medallion being worked another trimmed portion, although it is one of the longer pieces. On that medallion I was trying to decide if I should make it exactly as the pattern calls for, or if I should join the two rings together for stability. In this practice piece I left the second row free hanging but on the current row being worked I joined. I haven't made up my mind yet if I'm going to finish it like this. I'm trying to find old pictures of the other doily made so I can see if it would benefit the overall shape or not. It certainly made a difference on the strips. So as of now, the count is 3 out of 8 strips made and 1 practice connecting medallion almost complete.

3 comments:

  1. Your necklace is looking very elegant. Your doily (with your little helper's part)is looking very dainty also. Good luck in the fair. I can't wait to hear how you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The necklace is much easier to see on the black. It all looks excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete