Sunday, July 31, 2011

Wonderful morning

Summer doesn't officially end for us here in the valley for another 2 months. However, this particular morning, it was gorgeous. Cloudy and cool it has so much coastal temperature feel to it that it has revitalized me. At least for a bit. Now if only the little ones will let me play. I found these hanky's at my local Dollar store. Hey at 50 cents each, how I could pass up the deal, so I got a half dozen of them with different prints. Now I've never actually tatted on one of these before. I have done the edging for one but never got around to sewing it on. That project has since gone missing. When I started this I had forgotten that you make the edging first then sew on later, so I carefully laid my tatting rings next to the edge and joined where I thought would cause it to lay relatively flat. So far, so good. This is also one of the first times I have to keep a needle out to put a little hole in the edge so I can join to. Doing it this way puts less stress on the thread I'm using. The only downside is that it is tedious work. The pattern is from this.. it's french and that's the extent of my knowledge. It's diagrammed and while there isn't any actual numbers, you can easily count the stitches. I was once asked where I find my books and such, Ebay my friend, Ebay. I also frequent my local library which gets me plenty of gems to play with. Like the above, which is on loan for 3 weeks. My mother is currently in Mexico and I asked her to pick me any magazines with tatting in it she can find. Down there it's mostly Il Lavoro Chiacchierino, but you can sometimes find it under the list name of Frivolite. This is the current progress. Not bad considering that I just began this last night. There are a total of 3 rounds and this is the base. And what the end project is supposed to look like. Thread being used is size 80 DMC white and Celery by Yarnplayer. I may add another blueish color to it in another round, I still haven't decided but I do have Luna in mind, also by Yarnplayer. I have to thank Marilee for having dyed such beautiful colors.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good day! The weather and temperature definitely affect one's mood.

    This will be a spectacular edging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are enjoying the day, beautiful tatting, looking forward to see how your cheap hanky looks when you have finished it. Well done on finding a bargin.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is looking very nice, indeed. I love 'luna'!

    ReplyDelete