Thursday, October 6, 2011

Nightmare

This is one of the hardest threads for me to work with. It slides smoothly, when I can get it to slide. The problem? It's so incredibly thin I need tweezers to close my rings. I didn't have any on hand, so now I have no thumbnail, er, not much left over. I applaud anyone who has the courage to tat with superfine thread. The spool gives me plenty of thread to work with. I just hope I don't pull my hair out in the process. That small bit took a hour to do. I was afraid of snapping my thread so I gently pulled and tugged until I got those rings to close. It was easier to close a split ring than a regular ring.
 The only reason I was trying this out was to make a small enough motif to fit one of the molds for my next resin project. Unfortunately that is gonna be a no go.

6 comments:

  1. One thing that can help is running it through thread heaven or beeswax before winding on the shuttle. A little bit of fine thread goes a long way in tatting so you really don't have to run yards and yards through it at a time. That will give it some body and make it smooth enough to close the rings. You shouldn't have to struggle to close the rings. It will look gorgeous in the resin if you can make it work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand how you feel, I have used embriodery thread, two strands drove me insane, three strands was fine enough for me, good luck with the rest of the thread, I like what you have done with it so far.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. No nightmare! I find when using much smaller threads rings close much easier if I lessen my tension. Give it a whirl!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Depends on what you were making... I'm sure tatland has a bunch of women who would be more than willing to make a small motif with sewing thread for you. What dimensions are you looking for? Any particular motif pattern? It'd be fun for us to try. You should do a small challenge or something! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you can try doubling the thread. maybe it would be easier to close

    ReplyDelete