Thursday, August 1, 2013

Soda is bad for you

It's twin killer of sugar and caffeine in bad doses. At least to me now. I can sit and drink 4 cups of coffee and it not bother me, it actually relaxes me so I can go to bed. I drink one can of soda and I'm bouncing with nervous energy which is not conducive to anything. I start stuff that I never finish or I get stuck in a 'mental planning' state where I feel like I'm doing something but actually am just spaced out. Terrible mind set.

Tonight I'm putting the finishing touches on four of the six shuttles that are being shipped out tomorrow to my testers. I was thinking of sending the revised version but that mold broke. So I'm just going to send ones like the original shuttle I finished. I also have a third prototype 'cooking' so to speak, right now and it should be ready in an hour. I'll update on that most likely on Monday. I did have to replace the tool I was using to sand with a real rotary tool. Boy does this new one have power. I actually sanded halfway through one blade before I got accustomed to using it.

I have actually been working on tatting for my county fair. I have almost the entire bottom portion of the peacock done.
Some of you may recognize it as "The Peacock" that was all the craze a few months ago. It's from the Occhi Schiffchenspitze Frivolite book. I plan on doing both peacocks in the book. One is as close as I can get to realistic colors and a second in Latte Foam from Lizabeth. One of them may have beads added to it afterwards. That all depends on how much time I have left over after completing my other fair entries. This one is being worked with some older size 70 thread, I think it's Coats and Clark but I'm not sure, there isn't any labels on it. It's a green/yellow variegated color. I also got the chance to use those tiny shuttles. They do come in handy, I can tote them around in a small sewing container along with some scissors that I picked up from the dollar spot at Target. The scissors and needle threader came with the kit, I have no idea where the needles and thread ended up. I think when this project is done I'll just use it to store all those shuttles in it.
Now if only I had a smaller crochet hook it would be a perfect travel kit. The plastic's pretty thick so my 'treasures' are well protected.There's even two holes on top so I can thread some ribbon through it and make it a carrier. The shuttles themselves did tend to slip from my hands when I first began using them. Now a few days later, they don't bother me and don't fly away anymore. One thing I have noticed is that the plastic in the center where the posts are, is thin. I've worn down one side already from the pressure of my fingers holding the shuttle there. To me it's not a big deal because I can reinforce it with resin, thickening the outer shell of the blade. But for those who don't work with epoxy, it may be a negative aspect on the shuttle. Again depends on how sturdy you hold your shuttles and how much you plan on using it.


7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. Now I know I still make sense at 11 at night..lol

      Delete
  2. My colorful little shuttles arrived the other day. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet. Mine look like they'll need a little bit of sanding in spots to take off rough edges, not a big deal. I've never worked with epoxy, so if mine need a little TLC, I may send them off to you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they ever need it, Resin Doc Alma is here to help. ^_^

      Delete
  3. love the tatting work on the peacock, I have seen them before but didn't know the started from the bottom. your shuttles sound like nice are they the ones in the picture above? or will these shuttles have a post of there own

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The peacock is supposed to begin at the head. Since I was going to use up to 3 different colors, I began with what I found on hand first. I know I have blue and an ecru somewhere, I just haven't had the time to go look for them. The tail is the most time consuming portion of this pattern.

      Delete
  4. Use your dremel to cut down a crochet hook and sand the cut edge. Then you'll have one to fit in your cut tatting case.

    ReplyDelete