Wednesday, May 14, 2014

And then...

I'd like to introduce you all to the latest addition to my family, Tenchi! My oldest daughter gave him to me for Mother's Day. Now my house feels like a home.

 I was working on my Grandmother-in-law's birthday gift. This is a pattern by Jan Stawsz, and I was on a roll until I noticed the final joins weren't matching up. After recounting several times I finally found where I joined wrong. Snip, snip, comes the scissors. The colors match up wonderfully like a flame or a Sunburst. This isn't a piece to go to the scraps box. I plan making another to shape into a candy dish. The center motif sits perfectly flat with the next layer making a nice lip for the next row to stand on. I am of course going to have to make a mold for the final setting. Another project for another time.

I've added one more little flower to my topiary. The current progress is one flower every three days. I broke that mug so I used it as a sort of vase for the topiary. Using my trusty hot glue gun, I pieced it back together. Then I glued the bottom to the top of the mug. I like how the clear glue gives the illusion of water near the lip. The little magnolia is from Nancy Tracey's patterns and I think will do nicely to fill the bottom portion of the topiary out. Roses for the top level, Lily's for the second, and Magnolia's for the third with the occasional tulip or other random 3D flowers thrown in to level it out. The leaves and other 'flora' are what I believe will be the most time consuming to make.I was debating using silk leaves as fillers, but I think I'll wait until I make a few to see how 'up' I feel to that.


6 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhh he is beautiful, I hope he will settle in and enjoy his new home.
    What a pity you made a little mistake it was looking good so far.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret. He is very affectionate. It seems though that he prefers my husband to me. Pssfftt..males..lol

      Delete
  2. l love the color arrangement and it will make nice bowl. On your flowers sometimes I use ribbons attached to a pick instead of leaves. I think ribbons looks nice with tatting :) Looks like a big project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing it. I would have never thought of doing that.

      Delete