Monday, July 21, 2014

Topiary tumbling

The day was a nice lazy one spent out with the kids. After a four hour play day at our pizza/arcade/buffet play place, we have come home. I am in desperate need of a nap myself, but my body won't cooperate. After finishing the slave bracelet, I made a pair of butterfly earrings in record time. The butterfly is from Ruth Perry.

Then I realized that I had to begin my entries for this year's county fair. I am definitely entering my topiary. First plan of business, to redesign how the different levels will look. I was going about it all backwards. When arranging flowers, you begin with a base, then add into it to make it look fuller. Or at least I do. Since my intentions for this piece is for it to be all tatted, I began looking for leaf patterns to 'fill' it up with. I found a large range of free patterns I can use. Then the idea came to make a mossy type of stitch to cover the white Styrofoam with. After a few failed attempts, I settled on a one shuttle large multi-picot rings. IF you leave a long enough tail between rings, you can shape it into giving the appearance of moss or grass, depending on the shade of green being used. For such a simple pattern, it is definitely time consuming. Four and a half hours later and I have 1/6 of the bottom base covered. I'm putting off actual flower placement until I have tatted all the flowers I plan on using. It's less distracting that way.

7 comments:

  1. Lovely butterfly earrings! Good luck with the topiary, it looks like quite a task.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane. It sits in the enter of my worktable, so no avoiding wit the "out of sight" syndrome.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous butterfly earrings!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That gorgeous Ruth Perry butterfly has been on my 'to do' list for years! I'm so envious you did TWO and in 'record time - in addition to all your other amazing tatting and your family activities! The interweaving seems so tricky to me! I love the beautiful thread!

    I can't get over the projects you take on! The topiary will be amazing, but a lot of work!

    I was amused at your 'container' purchases. I believe have every container known to mankind, which I have purchased for this 'simple little hobby' of tatting! Some of them are necessary for transporting items to the events we go to (such as rolling suitcases and large 'tubs'), but I still have way too many other containers, large and small, filled with unadorned ornaments and pieces of jewelry waiting patiently for me to 'do something' with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, the butterflies are easier to make than you'd think. It's similar to tying your shoe laces.
      I promised myself, no more containers! Let's see how long that lasts..lol. I actually had one of those rolling toolboxes when my tatting stash was small enough to all fit there, books included. Now what I need is to put up a shelf, with clear see through containers, holding my UFO's, so they can get finished.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful earrings, wonderful butterfly pattern well done
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete