Sunday, August 24, 2014

A bit of this and a bit of that


The deadline for my entry forms to the county fair was missed. We took the kids on a much needed outing and it slipped my mind. Yes, I probably should have taken care of it beforehand. It just didn't seem to be too much of a priority. This year the fair seemed to arrive much sooner than I expected it to. There honestly wouldn't be enough time, and I would just end up stressing myself out. This doesn't mean I'm not going to finish my projects. I will work on them when I find some time to spare, or the inclination to pick up my shuttles.




There has been progress on the Tatbit challenge piece. And a set back. I seemed to have joined the three ring chains to the wrong part of the butterflies. Three little rings, such a nuisance to fix. I was working it continuous thread method on each fan cluster. Cutting them off and still leaving enough of a tail to sew in later, just seems like too much work right now. The monotony of working with one solid color is also slowing me down. After only two motifs, the patterns are blending into one another and I'm joining where I shouldn't because I can't tell up from down. Something this complex in design needs color.





The resin piece I was to send in with tatting did not end up how I planned. I tried to put a 3D object onto what is a flat surface, and still keep the flow right. I did add three little butterflies to the piece and while it is still pretty, it's not what I envisioned. The colors of the background picture are more vibrant in natural sunlight. I have a second bezel to try again, but before I do that I need to make a mold that will hopefully cradle the piece in question better.

I finished my first run on the Evee shuttle. In a moment of complete laziness, instead of making a center post I just added a bobbin to it. Seems to work well enough. The blades are good enough of a size to hold balance with the bobbin. Don't mistake it, the bobbin is permanently embedded and cannot be removed. I'm not sure on the bobbin size, it came in a bulk bag of randomness I purchase months ago. I did get a bit carried away with the glitter. It's all nice and sparkley! A little bit too sparkley, the pictures of Evee are a bit obscured. It still has some fine sanding and one of the blades needs to be thicken with another layer of resin. The bobbin seems to hold as much as a Clover or the Aerolit bobbin shuttle from Handyhands. The size is at least what I was hoping to get, in between a SewMate and a Starlit shuttle!

I did receive some not so good news from the doctor's  recently. While I'm currently dangling between knowing it's not good and not knowing the extent of the damage, my mind is preoccupied. You know it's bad when they call you within an hour of getting the results back themselves. I have a few more days to wait to find out what's going on and listen to possible solutions. They just wanted to make sure they had me scheduled as quickly as possible, and to make sure I actually show up. I'm very forgetful and unless I put the appointment into my phone's calendar with a ring tone reminder, I completely forget. Today we go to my Grandmother-in-law's for her grandchildren roundup. She wants all her grandkids and great grandkids together for picture taking and a little picnic.

2 comments:

  1. the work is beautiful and the shuttles are fun to see looks like little stamps in them, like the sparkles, like fairies use these for tatting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm already having to fix it. My little one 'borrowed' it and wanted to get at the bobbin. She broke the blade off one side. At least it was the one I was planning on thickening anyways.

      Delete