Sunday, September 14, 2014

A week's break

Tatting with metallic thread can give you such beautiful results. Over at West Pines Creations, she has been doing this a while and her pieces are always stunning. Attempting to make another pair of motifs, I began using one strand of DMC metallic thread. The trick is that you have to keep a bit of slack to your stitches otherwise the rings become too difficult to close. You also have pieces of the metal flake off. Too much slack and the stitches look messy.
Honey and I went to the Gamestop Expo in Anaheim a few days ago. We had a good time. I won some nice prizes and we got to spend the day, just the two of us. I was a nice getaway. I tatted on the way there and a small bit on the way back. Mostly I just zoned out on the drive home.


I started again on Tery's Spider Doily. This time I began with the supporting chains. Now I understand why she calls it a spider doily. The chains when spread out, do look like webs. This sample is being made with size 20 thread. It has given me an idea for some wings. An idea that will go on the back burner for now.  I have too many UFO's again.

One UFO is the making of shuttles again. Not for sale, for my own personal improvement. I tatted Ruth Perry's Celtic rose motif and was testing how thick I would need to make the blade to cover it.
They were made using the exact resin mix, but for whatever reason, the first blade came out more cloudy. I think it's my mold, time to make a new one. I want to have this shuttle finished by Tuesday. It's supposed to be over a hundred degrees this weekend, so I'm going to make the center posts and do a few more test runs. With them curing outside, I don't have to worry about the temperature being too cold for the curing to complete.



5 comments:

  1. One strand of that metallic thread is two plyes. I use two strands and it works better. Or three plyes, but they are difficult to separate. They sell a different ball with 3ply thread. Your experiments with resin are very good, great result! The web is looking lovely so far, happy tatting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice! I did try 2 plys in the past when I made Ruth's Stargazer Lily, and it turned out gorgeous. It actually won me two blue ribbons at my county fair. I wasn't aware they sold a 3 ply ready to use metallic thread. I've been using the skeins and dividing them up.

      Delete
  2. Where did. You find the pattern? Have searched with no luck. This would be great for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phyllis, there is no actual pattern. Teri used a computer program to create the image. I'm using the pattern for the Fantasia Fan which is what she based the image off of. I'm going with the notion that the stitch counts are the same for all the elements. She does share the Fantasia Fan pattern as a PDF that you can download for free off her blog.The link: http://teridusenburystattletales.blogspot.com/2014/08/seats-in-upright-position-and-fasten.html

      Delete