I spent some time conversing with Teri Dusenbury about several things from copyright to thread types. With her permission, I am posting progress on this doily. One of the things we talked about is thread. She has many years spent tatting, and she has shared her experiences with me. Normally I don't give too much thought to what type of thread I use, since I usually tat tight. I only think of aesthetics. She brought up valid points about durability of the finished piece. With that thought in mind, I've restarted yet again. I do want this piece to last a long time after all, even with wear and tear factored in. The CG image's official name is Fantasia Spider Track Doily.
I began by going through ALL of my thread stash (which took some time) and settled on DMC size 20. I have two full balls of black and an almost full EZ bobbin of some I dyed years ago. I even found some round beads that complement the Hand Dyed Thread of mine. It seems to have fallen in place on its own.
I liked the idea of a gothic theme, and want to stick with greys and black with a third color for contrast. Usually red would be the color associated with a gothic theme, but I'm more partial to greens and blues. I do have to pick up some more white balls along with dye to make more of the threads needed to complete this project. I'm trying to recall how I dyed the thread but in case I cannot remember, I have enough to make all the butterflies in this color. I have to say I'm excited!