Saturday, September 27, 2014

Fantasia Spider Track Doily Take 2

I spent some time conversing with Teri Dusenbury about several things from copyright to thread types. With her permission, I am posting progress on this doily. One of the things we talked about is thread. She has many years spent tatting, and she has shared her experiences with me. Normally I don't give too much thought to what type of thread I use, since I usually tat tight. I only think of aesthetics. She brought up valid points about durability of the finished piece. With that thought in mind, I've restarted yet again. I do want this piece to last a long time after all, even with wear and tear factored in. The CG image's official name is Fantasia Spider Track Doily.
  I began by going through ALL of my thread stash (which took some time) and settled on DMC size 20. I have two full balls of black and an almost full EZ bobbin of some I dyed years ago. I even found some round beads that complement the Hand Dyed Thread of mine. It seems to have fallen in place on its own.
I liked the idea of a gothic theme, and want to stick with greys and black with a third color for contrast. Usually red would be the color associated with a gothic theme, but I'm more partial to greens and blues. I do have to pick up some more white balls along with dye to make more of the threads needed to complete this project. I'm trying to recall how I dyed the thread but in case I cannot remember, I have enough to make all the butterflies in this color.  I have to say I'm excited!

4 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing how you get on and how the colours work out
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure it will look fabulous!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alma, I am glad that you have decided to use a better quality thread. So much time is spent in making a piece of lace that a tatter should really take into consideration, not necessarily the color, but if the thread will last more than a few years.

    Tatters should also consider how the lace is stored when not being displayed or worn. Some of my biggest mistakes have been in how I have stored my lace. Do not place any lace made with cotton in a sandwich bag, cotton batting from jewelry box, and pretty much any type of paper storage that is NOT acid free. Non-acid free paper will ruin your lace.

    I have dyed my lace using "salt" and I have often wondered what kind of effect over time that will have on the cotton fiber. So far, so good. Of course the thread was quality thread to begin with.

    Truthfully, and this always gets me in trouble with shuttle makers is that the type of shuttle (traditional) where the thread must pass through the blades can do more damage to the thread. Tatters make sure that those blades are not making slices to your thread.

    When learning to duplicate a pattern use the cheap stuff, when tatting the final piece use quality thread. Just because it might cost more does not mean it is quality.

    I have ruined lace using sizing agents or starch. I come from the generation where we had to iron everything. I only recommend filtered water.

    If you do iron your lace, there should always be a cloth between the lace and the iron. ALWAYS!

    Cotton lace does not like any type of spray air freshener.

    Do not pass the gravy! Can you imagine having a tatted tablecloth with a gravy boat sitting on top of it? TATBiT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for your advice Teri. I was thinking on how to display it after it is complete. Maybe framing it would be better so there is no excessive wear on it.

      Delete