Monday, November 10, 2014


Lately, I've been tatting on my bus ride to work. Our car broke down and until we get another, I'm using public transportation to get to work. The frustrating part of it all is that I have to start my daily commune almost two hours earlier than I am used to. The silver lining, I can tat while I wait. The project I'm working on while riding, is Renulek's Spring Napkin. It's being worked with DMC Pearl 12 thread. The little splash of color is some of the HDT from years ago I made and found while cleaning up. I found that I can actually wind one entire ball of the pearl thread onto the Starlit shuttles. When I first start, they'll be a little fat on thread.
 Another thing I've been tatting a bunch of lately are Mary Konoir's Rose buds. One of the blades I made from the previous posts, I over-sanded. I tried fixing it with more resin, but it didn't hold up to my personal expectations. It looked rather ugly, to be honest, so I made some more pieces as back ups in case this happened again.
 Then I got distracted by the shine on these beads. I had to find something to use them one. I went with Sabina Carden-Madden's Candlelight Snowflake. I began with size 80 thread. Then I moved up to size 40 with a bit more success. The problem I was having was snapping that thread as I closed up the Loop Tatted Ring. I finally managed to get control of my tension-ing, so there's another in purple currently in the works.
 This shiny silver spool of thread was calling to me. I have no idea what to make with it. More snowflakes would be the obvious answer. Now to decide to use a second thread wrapped around it, or by itself? Or maybe I'll just tuck it back into the thread drawer for now.

3 comments:

  1. I think those glass beads sometimes have sharp edges and may have cut the tiny tatting thread. I love the yellow roses you made they look perfect! doily is sweet with a touch of blue:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are able to cope with the bus situation by having some tatting time. It's difficult to be without a car.

    I have used that particular metallic DMC thread very successfully for the past 20 years, and am so glad they are still making it. It is quite easy to tat with, if you release your tension a bit. The rings close nicely. I've made many earrings with both the silver and gold thread, plus other small motifs. It's equivalent to size 30 Cebelia. I use a bobbin shuttle, so it roll off the bobbin easily without any tugging..

    I'm still following your resin adventures. You've put a lot of time and effort into your research! And you're coming up with unique ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful doily and great rosebuds!! :)

    ReplyDelete