Monday, August 17, 2015

Teri's Fantasia Spider

With the entry closing date coming up real soon, I went back to working on Teri's Spider Fantasia doily. I started out plain white, then got the idea to add color. I thought it would make the different elements easier to make out.






 After almost finishing one section, I decided that I didn't like it. The colors complimented one another, it's just when I thought of the doily as a whole it would look too busy. Plus I didn't want to spend days hiding individual ends. I needed to go back to just one color, but I wasn't sure what color. After spending a few hours cleaning up the thread drawer, I settled on metallic thread. The choices at the time were silver, copper, bright red, and this light lilac. I went with the Lilac.



 I believe it will give it a nice ethereal look and sparkle enough to catch the eye no matter what lighting it's under. After the first few previous incarnations of this doily, I knew I would have to change the counts on the chaining sections to make it fit. It really only took, taking out two rings from different areas. One of the downsides to working with metallic thread is how hard it is on the hands. I picked up this thread guide ring to help with the chafing on the fingers. This is being worked with one strand of DMC Lilac thread. I would say it's equivalent to size 80 thread. It is more tricky to work with. I have to keep a steady slack to my tension or the rings will not close. I have already had to untat several rings because of this.

6 comments:

  1. It's going to be spectacular in that thread. I'm intrigued by the thread guide ring, I've never seen one before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it in the yarn section at Hobby Lobby. It's made from Clover and used for knitters to keep their threads from tangling together.

      Delete
  2. Oh is that going to be beautiful!!! Love the start!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb choice ! It does have that glittering ephemeral lightness !
    I agree with Jane - intriguing thread guide ring .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am proud of you this is very hard to work with and it looks great so far!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like them all! But, I can empathize with not wanting to hide the extra ends. And, I think Teri would approve of your final choice. She often went with just one color.

    ReplyDelete