Have you made any progress? Yes and no. With only seven hearts to left to make and join, yes I'm almost done with it. For some odd reason, I'm not happy with it. It's hard to explain, but the top view of the photograph is not what my eyes keep seeing. I can't seem to make out the clovers, all I see is a tatted jumble.
Perhaps, this second picture will be able to better explain. Continuing on, all I can see is the loudness of the thread. It's a lot more neon than what I keep getting when I take the picture. Without seeing it in person, I find it extremely difficult to explain. It's like staring at a bright light, you can't make out the fine details, only that there is a halo of light.
I thought to outline each heart but then it would be too separated and would be a 'heart' not 'clover' doily. A few hours ago, literally, the thought came up to just do the actual chaining in black. This would make the clovers easier to distinguish from one another. After sitting staring at this WIP, I managed to figure out how to map the pattern so I can. Hiding ends won't be too much more tedious than normal.
On one of the Facebook groups I belong to, the Admin sent me a package. It included chocolate, a postcard and a sample of the Twirlz thread from HandyHands. I used it to make a practice 3D flower for a butterfly bracelet. It also is a hard color to photograph. I'm not sure on how I feel about the way the thread works out. I think this type of blending will go in with the other "Looks great as a ball but horrible when put to use" box.
A few fellow bloggers are doing a self- challenge. I'm a very big follower of challenges. They are a wonderful motivator for a mind that gets bored sooner than later. Caroyllyn has an example of what the challenge is all about. It's basically taking any crafting pin from Pintrest and making it then blogging about it at the end of the month. I know Pintrest can be a haven for copyright violators, but I also find it a wonderful inspirational center. I see a tea cup with flowers pouring out of it and I'm inspired to create my own topiary with tatted flowers. This outlet is especially helpful for my resin experiments. Here is my contribution to my own Pintrest Monthly Challenge:
Yes, I copy tatted this from a Japanese link. I apologize in advance to those I offend with this. I have a good collection of tatting books that I've accumulated over the years. Sometimes, I like looking at pictures and tracing them to their source to see if the pattern is in one of the books I already own. I admit, I sequel like a little girl when I find I do and rush to work the pattern. Also, if I don't, I add it to my "to eventually buy when Honey's not looking" list.
On to the final thoughts: Another shuttle.
Beadsky's webpage they gave the basic instructions. I went in search of a "curved" piece of plastic I can cut up. I came up with a large Christmas ornament.
To solve this problem, I dripped more UV resin down the center post and tilted the shuttle until it self filled and the air bubble was forced out. The other side of the shuttle was going to be a challenge to do. I kept adding small amounts of the resin and curing it in layers to create a dome. Once that was of sufficient size, I placed the other side of the blade down and cured that. I present, The Easier Made Upcycled Bobbin Shuttle!
love how this turned out!
Side views for sizing comparison : Starlit, Larger Clover, Moonlit, Pop-A-Bobbin, Upcycled shuttle. The positive to the ornament being used is that the plastic is already curved. I just had to cut one side larger than the other and trim it down after it was assembled with scissors. It's incredible light but has a stable center(after using the UV resin to bond it) to rest your hands on. You don't have to worry about it's shape warping while you tat. It also holds the tension, it snaps back to it's shape. One downside I found was that if I hold the shuttle closer to the points, meaning not resting on the bobbin (center), the shuttle feels like it's going to collapse. Also, the bobbin is permanently attached, so no switching out bobbins. Next on the to-do-list to make one that I can switch the bobbin with. This is too much work for the time being but it's a nice happy future thought.