Sunday, November 12, 2017

Exquisite doily

This is a free pattern from the Australian "Trove" newspaper. I began this project earlier this year. I began with the purpose of graphing the pattern and making small adjustments or "shortcuts" where I could. The center point was easy and the enclosure box was saved a cut and tie with the use of a split chain. The first half of tghe outer arms uses a series of split rings to progress around. The terminology had me a bit confused for a bit as I am not used to reading 'antiqued tatting terms'.  The final center of the arms point worked out in a similar fashion to the arms.

I have one "corner" completed. I'm sure once it's sewed down it will look much better. My issue is my sewing skills are not so great. I tried laying it out to see if there was a way to join the separate elements into one. There are potentials but depending on your tension, it may not work out.

I'm beginning a second corner point testing the joining to see how they play out. It's being worked in size 50 thread since I have such a large abundance of it. I do need to begin making this year's snowflakes for my giftees. Today will be the doily, tomorrow the snowflakes.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck, it's not easy to 'translate' old patterns into modern terms, but often well worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have trouble translating old patterns, so I give up before I get very far. I wish you luck!

    ReplyDelete